When choosing countertops for your home, bar, shop, or any other place, it is crucial to balance beauty and practicality. Granite has become popular in the recent past for granite tops thanks to its easy availability. It is made from cooling magma that comes from the earth’s core.
Granite competes with marble in sophistication, with an incredibly low price that takes it a notch ahead. In this article, we’ll tell you everything you need to know about granite countertops and how to take care of them.
What is Granite?
Granite is a popular material for tops because of its durability, beauty, low price, and resistance to weathering. It is made from the slow cooling of lava or magma inside the earth’s core, and it is composed of quartz, feldspar, or mica minerals. You can find it in various colours, such as pink, white, grey, and more.
What are granite tops?
Granite tops are made from cutting granite and are used in homes, commercial buildings, bars, and other places, specifically for countertop applications.
How are granite tops made?
Granite tops are made through the following process:
- Large blocks of granite are quarried from the quarry.
- These blocks are cut into slabs using a diamond wire or gang saw.
- Diamond abrasives are used to polish one or both sides of the slabs.
- The slabs are inspected for defects or damages and cut into desired sizes and shapes.
- The edges are smoothed out to match the rest of the surface.
- A sealer is finally applied on the surface to protect it from stains and enhance its colour.
Why choose granite as a countertop?
The following are some of the top reasons to choose granite for tops:
- It is hard and dense, offering immense resistance to heat, chipping, and scratches.
- Granite offers different patterns on all pieces, providing many choices.
- It doesn’t require regular sealing or waxing, so you can be at peace after installation.
- Granite is an extremely porous material, however it is usually sealed to make sure it is no longer porous and remains hygienic
- Installing granite tops in any building significantly increases its value.
Where else can you use granite in your house?
Here are some of the most attractive and practical uses of granite in your home:
- An excellent choice for kitchen tops due to their resistance to heat and stains.
- It can also be used in bathrooms for countertops, vanities, and shower surrounds.
- Granite tiles are excellent for hallways, kitchens, and entryway flooring.
- Granite hearths are perfect for your living rooms.
- Use granite on staircases if you want them to look luxurious and elegant.
- Furniture such as tables and desks made of granite looks beautiful.
How to protect and care for your granite tops?
Here is how to protect and care for your granite tops:
- Regularly clean your granite tops using mild soap and water, using a damp cloth. Always dry off the excess water.
- Never use any abrasive cleaning products containing alkaline and chlorine.
- Do not expose new tops to excessive heat.
- Immediately wipe any spills to prevent stains, and do not leave any water on the top.
- Use coasters and trivets when using hot items like pans in the kitchen.
- Avoid exposing the tops to direct sunlight because it causes discoloration.
- Do a professional resealing of it every 1-3 years to keep it fresh and new.
How The International Granite Company can help you?
The International Granite Company offers high-quality granite and quartz products at unbeatable prices. We are dedicated to offering our clients honest services with excellent communication. Providing natural and engineered stone, we offer a wide variety of countertops for kitchens, bars, fireplaces, and more.
Our clients range from designers to architects to builders to the general public. Our objective is to provide our clients with high-quality and durable granite products at prices you cannot find anywhere else.
Our different granite colours/types
Due to its chemistry and mineralogy, granite occurs in various colours. Hence, you can get granite countertops from us in all the popular colours you like. The International Granite Company offers its incredible granite tops in the following colours:
- Dark pink
- Dark grey
- Light grey
- Light pink
- Nut brown
- Peach red
- Mahogany mist
All our granite top colours look beautiful when you place them in your homes and buildings, offering incredible shine and appeal.